Friday, July 24, 2009

Last Post

Well I think this will be my last post before I head back to the United States. I have 1 week left and my work here is pretty much complete although I will continue talking with the NGO I worked with and other wonderful contacts in the field when I return to the States in order to continue my work back home.
I was asked to speak at the American Embassy on a panel this past Wednesday which was a good experience. I also had a meeting with a woman in the cultural division section of the Embassy working with human trafficking in and out of the country. She was very informative and I was able to get some information for GLOWA regarding possible funding from the Embassy which is rare. We will see if GLOWA is able to meet the strict standards.

It has been stereotypically hot here the past couple weeks and I selfishly look forward to AC and fans when I return. It is amazing how long it can take for your body to adapt to climates.

It’s my birthday on the 28th and I’ll be the big 24. For those of you that know me, I love cake and just because I’m in Africa and don’t have an oven or a place to buy cake doesn’t mean I can’t attempt to make one from scratch over a fire! I’ll let you know how it turns out. Cameroon has made me much more creative and has forced me to rely on my own abilities versus machines and technology which I am truly grateful for.

I fly out on the 31st and will arrive home in the afternoon on the 1st. Please wish me safe travels as the scary part for me is flying even though I do it all the time :)

Love and eagerness for home from West Africa.

P.s. I repeatedly tried to upload photos on this blog but the page would always expire before it was possible. For those of you that don’t have facebook and want to see my photos let me know and I will be happy to share them with you when I return.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! We get Emily back to full contactable-ness!

    Have a safe flight/s/s/s!!

    I'm flying out on Wednesday morning 6am for the USA - and I'll be hanging out with you in t minus 17 days!!

    PS - Happy Birthday!! I will have some Birthday Tim Tams for you (if I dont eat them)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, just wanted to let you know we are eagerly waiting for your safe return to all of your friends and family in Iowa following your remarkable work with GLOWA in helping to end the misery created via human trafficking. Hope you have a great Birthday and safe journey home... the Adams family.

    ReplyDelete