Tuesday, July 7, 2009

First Week in Yaounde

Hey family and friends,

I have been in Yaounde for the past 3 days enjoying some time with one of my best friends, Abba who is a peace corps volunteer in the north. I am continuing working for my NGO via Yaounde getting additional research on NGO development and discussing rehabilitation with an NGO here who has a psychologist working with trafficked victims. It is pretty difficult getting people to meet with you here in Cameroon and usually you need to make at least 3 appointments before you will actually be seen. I have a bit over 3 weeks left and I know I will be able to get enough information for my research and for my NGO.

Yesterday we were caught in some crazy flooding. It is the rainy season and the rain is so intense and heavy, I have never seen anything like it. The rain builds up so quickly due to the lack of proper sewer systems. We were in an underground market and it started filling up so we had to go up. I get a little scared of flooding for those of you that know me well and so I was high-tailing it out of there.

Anway, that is about all the exciting information I have to relay. I am craving a snickers blizzard, so if someone could have one for me I would appreciate it.

2 comments:

  1. I would love to have a snickers blizzard for you, but alas...not Dairy Queen down under....

    However, I'd be more than willing / ecstatic to take you to the Dairy Queen in IC/Coralville when you get back from Cameroon and I'm in Iowa! But I have a request. When we drive-thru for them...we must call them tsunami's...or tornados....they really hate that. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of...have you had your extra large Snickers bar yet this year? :)

    ReplyDelete