Monday, July 13, 2009

3 mice in my kitchen, 2 are dead, where is the other one??

Hello friends and family,

I have spent about a week and a half here in Yaoundé with about two and a half weeks to go. Work has been pretty straining, and for those of you who have conducted research or worked abroad in semi-peripheral or tertiary countries know that organizations/government officials are not always honest with the work they perform. I went to the Peace Corps headquarters and talked with several volunteers who have given me some great contacts and information within their individual work at their posts which has helped my efforts with GLOWA. A great friend of mine is in the Peace Corps here in Cameroon and she was able to come to Yaoundé and spend some time with me which was a breath of fresh air. She has been here for a year and a half working in a northern region called Adamawa in Mayo Darle. Although she works in the community health sector she leads several women’s groups in the Muslim community and has taught a large group of women how to quilt successfully. These intricate quilts have begun to be sold and are hopefully going to be a viable job for these women.

I have probably mentioned several times that my body has not agreed with the meds I am taking therefore against everyone’s advice I have gone off the Malaria Doxy pills. Unfortunately they conflict with my migraine medication. Hopefully I can spend two and a half weeks malaria/typhoid free.

I apologize for the short post, the longer I am here the less I have to say. I hope you all are well and enjoying your summers (winters for those of you in Aus).

Xxoo

1 comment:

  1. awww thanks for the shoutout to us Aussies!

    Goodluck with staying healthy your last couple weeks, hun!

    ReplyDelete